Investigator Grants consolidate separate fellowship and research support into one grant scheme that provides the highest-performing researchers at all career stages with funding for their salary (if required) and a significant research support package.
These grants provide the investigator with flexibility to pursue important new research directions as they arise and to form collaborations as needed, rather than being restricted to the scope of a specific research project.
Investigator Grants support:
- research across the four pillars of health and medical research: biomedical, clinical, public health and health services research
- different career stages – early career researchers, mid-career researchers and established researchers
- researchers with clinical responsibilities (such as clinicians, public health and allied health practitioners)
- full-time and part-time researchers.
The expected outcomes are:
- flexibility for investigators to pursue important new research directions as they arise and to form collaborations as needed
- innovative and creative research
- opportunities for researchers at all career stages to establish their own research programs
- reduced application and peer review burden on researchers.
Investigator Grants may be funded by or in conjunction with other organisations. These grants offer opportunities to researchers whose work is particularly relevant to the priorities and research interests of the partner organisations.
Information on how organisations and individuals can support NHMRC to fund health and medical research is available on the .
Details of partner organisations providing funding support for the current funding round is available on Grant Connect.
Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF)
As announced by the minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt MP, on 5 September 2019, the Government will invest $32 million over the next two years to support MRFF funded Investigator Grants.
Applications for this funding will be submitted and peer reviewed through the 2020 NHMRC Investigator Grant round opening 2 October 2019.
Grant Guidelines for this MRFF funding round are now available through a Grant Opportunity on GrantConnect.
Further information about the Next Generation Clinical Researchers program is available on the .
Peer Review Information
For details regarding the Investigator Grant 2020 peer review process, please refer to the Investigator Grant 2020 Peer Review Guidelines available from the download section below.