MRFF – Emerging Priorities and Consumer Driven Research Initiative – 2023 Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 Grant Opportunity (Stream 1-3 and Stream 4 Stage 1 ONLY)
The Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) – 2023 Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 Grant Opportunity will support medical research and medical innovation projects that:
- Stream 1 (Aim 1, Objective #1 of Research Plan; Targeted Call for Research): conduct a large-scale multidisciplinary project in partnership with primary care researchers and consumers (including all age groups and priority populations), to identify how people experience PASC, including the impact on their physical and mental health and social and emotional wellbeing.
- Stream 2 (Aim 1, Objective #2 of Research Plan; Targeted Call for Research): conduct a large-scale multidisciplinary project in partnership with consumers, health service providers and policy makers using primary data collection and/or informatics approaches such as modelling and linkage to generate knowledge of population-wide and health system impacts of PASC.
- Stream 3 (Aim 2 of Research Plan; Incubator): conduct small scale developmental projects that:
- Topic A: investigate the molecular mechanisms, pathways or biomarkers that are central to the cause and progression of PASC
- Topic B: build knowledge of key factors that impact PASC prognosis, including but not limited to psychosocial, physical and behavioural contributors.
- Stream 4 (Aim 3 of Research Plan):
- Stage 1 (Incubator): conduct inception projects that build evidence and capability to demonstrate the feasibility of establishing a national adaptive platform trial that would allow for rapid assessment of pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions of PASC.
The intended outcome of the research funded by this grant opportunity is to improve the health and wellbeing of Australians by:
- Stream 1 (Aim 1, Objective #1 of Research Plan; Targeted Call for Research): improving understanding of the impacts of PASC on individuals and the community to inform and improve clinical care and policy responses.
- Stream 2 (Aim 1, Objective #1 of Research Plan; Targeted Call for Research): improving understanding of the impacts of PASC on the Australian health system and society to inform policy and program responses.
- Stream 3 (Aim 2 of Research Plan; Incubator): generating knowledge to support the development of novel diagnostic or monitoring tools, or therapies for individuals living with PASC.
- Stream 4 (Aim 3 of Research Plan; Incubator and Targeted Call for Research): accelerating the identification of optimal management approaches for people living with PASC.
This grant opportunity is being administered by NHMRC on behalf of the Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care.
Further information on the MRFF is available from the Department of Health and Aged Care.