The objective of the Ideas Grant scheme is to support innovative research projects addressing a specific question(s).
The expected outcomes are:
- innovative and creative research
- funding of researchers at all career stages, and
- funding any area of health and medical research from discovery to implementation.
The scheme will provide particular opportunities for early and mid-career researchers. It is expected that the CIA will have the scientific leadership and skills to achieve the proposed project aims.
The Ideas Grant scheme is not intended to support research where a clinical trial or cohort study is the primary objective. Applicants seeking funding to conduct a clinical trial or a cohort study should apply, instead, to NHMRC’s Clinical Trials and Cohort Studies Grant scheme.
Ideas Grants may be funded by or in conjunction with other organisations. These grants offer opportunities to researchers whose work is particularly relevant to the priorities and research interests of the partner organisations.
Information on how organisations and individuals can support NHMRC to fund health and medical research is available on the .
Details of partner organisations providing funding support for the current funding round is available on Grant Connect.
Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF)
This grant opportunity may be used to determine recipients under the MRFF Million Minds Mission. The program will support research to improve the diagnosis and treatment of patients with mental health issues. Further information on the program, including funding, is available on the Department of Health Website.
Peer Review of Ideas Grants
- Applications to the Ideas Grants 2019 opportunity will be assessed in accordance with the assessment criteria set out in the Grant Guidelines (available on GrantConnect). The category descriptors are also provided within the Grant Guidelines.
- Ideas Grants 2019 Peer Review Guidelines - see 'Download' section.
Level of funding
The amount of funding for an Ideas Grant will be based on assessment of the requested budget. Refer to the Grant Guidelines.