Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Report Card of Achievements 2018
This is an annual report card focussed on the achievements made in 2018 against the three-year Action Plan for Road Map 3. NHMRC continues to work with PCIC on all the actions in the NHMRC's Road Map 3 Action Plan 2018-21 Triennium
Two Targeted Calls for Research were opened to stimulate or greatly advance research in priority areas for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health:
In 2018, major documents were updated to ensure the research sector is current with best practice in ethics and NHMRC's strategy for Indigenous health:
- Road Map 3: A strategic framework for improving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health through research (Road Map 3) and Action Plan
- Ethical conduct in research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and communities: Guidelines for researchers and stakeholders 2018
- Keeping research on track II
PCIC is appointed on a triennial basis and provides advice and works with to the NHMRC Council and CEO on issues relating to guide and direct Indigenous health research. Professor Sandra Eades is chair of PCIC and also a member of the NHMRC Council.
NHMRC is committed to building and strengthening capacity of Indigenous researchers. In 2018:
NHMRC held two capacity building workshops with the Indigenous research and institutional communities to inform future activities and the development of a national network of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health researchers:
- Strengthening capacity and capability of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander researchers
- National Network Workshop
NHMRC is committed to Reconciliation and our Reconciliation Action Plan sets out the actions to foster respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to:
- build mutually beneficial relationships with communities
- foster and strengthen the capacity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and medical researchers
- support the employment of Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders in our agency.
- NHMRC offered 4 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students a summer Internship.
NHMRC staff participated in cultural activities (language lessons, walking tours, yarning sessions, guest speakers) and the JAWUN project.
Download Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Report Card of Achievements 2018