Key grant application dates for 2013
- Postgraduate Scholarships: closes 5pm AEST 3 July
- NHMRC-EU Collaborative Research Grants: closes 5pm AEST 3 July
- Development Grants: closes 5pm AEST 10 July
- Mental Health TCR Suicide Prevention in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Youth: opened 26 June, closes 5pm AEST 23 October
The funding calendar is available on the NHMRC website.
Track progress on Project Grants applications for weeks 1-3
- 2010 will be reviewed
- Assessor comments have been sent for 99% of applications with 69% applicant responses (rebuttal) received
- Of these, 97% had two external assessments and one spokespersons reports submitted.
Track progress on Project Grants applications for weeks 4-6
- 1904 will be reviewed
- 89% of applications have two external assessments submitted
- 35% have one spokespersons reports submitted
Fast facts on Project Grants GRPs
- Chairs and Assistant Chairs have been confirmed for all 43 GRPs
- Allocation of Early Career Observers to GRPs is underway
- NHMRC CEO’s panel briefing to 2013 GRP Panel Members will be made available on NHMRC’s website as a webinar
Release of assessor comments
Timeframes listed at Project Grant Applicant Response (Rebuttal) Periods 2013 indicate the earliest and latest possible dates that assessor comments will be released. The actual date of release depends upon all assessor reports being received for the application.
Add your ORCiD ID to RGMS
Researchers with an Open Researcher and Contributor ID (ORCiD) can now include this in their RGMS user profile. ORCiD allows researchers to create a unique identifier for themselves to assist funding agencies, journal editors and other groups involved in scholarly communications.
View NHMRC research in the news
NHMRC’s homepage now features a rolling feed of news articles about the outcomes of NHMRC-funded research.
Research Translation Faculty seeking ‘Big Ideas for Action’
Faculty members are invited to submit their big ideas and priority actions on obesity and cardiovascular disease / stroke. Further information: RTF website then click on the ‘Consultations’ tab.
Call for new Partnership Centre on Primary Care
On 13 June, NHMRC issued a ‘Call for Investigator Team Applications’ for the third Centre under NHMRC’s Partnership Centres for Better Health funding scheme. The theme of the Centre is Primary Care: System, Services and Workforce Innovation. Further information: NHMRC website.
Update on Research Committee activities
On 19 June, RC discussed:
- streamlining application and assessment processes
- RGMS and timeframes to support streamlining
- the development of a Memorandum of Understanding between NHMRC and the National Institutes of Health Research Health Technology Assessment Programme (UK) for collaborative research activities
- funding recommendations for the John Cade Fellowship in Mental Health Research funding round, 2012 Centres for Research Excellence, and Partnership Projects Third Call
RC is scheduled to meet a further two times before the end of the year.
Update on Council activities
The Council of NHMRC met for the 196th Session on 21 June. Council discussed a range of issues including:
- The Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- The National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research, 2007
- Guidelines for the safe restraint of children travelling in motor cars and
- Prostate Specific Antigen Testing
The 197th session of Council will be held in early October.
View presentations from the Mentorship Workshop
A workshop was attended by almost 30 emerging and established Indigenous researchers from Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Highlights included presentations from Associate Professor Noel Hayman and Professor Sandra Eades. Further information: NHMRC website.
FOR YOUR INTEREST
- CEO Interview with the Lancet – 7th Revision of the Declaration of Helsinki
- Human Frontier Science Program on track for 2014-2016
- New funding partnership to support breast cancer research
- Proposed revisions to the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (2007), Chapter 2.3. Call closes 5pm (AEST) Friday 12 July
NHMRC approved guidelines developed by third parties
- Australian clinicians and policy-makers can access NHMRC approved clinical practice guidelines on the Clinical Practice Guidelines Portal.