This section of the site contains information about ethics and related issues in the use of animals for scientific purposes.
- Release of the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes 8th edition (2013)
- Webcast: “New initiatives in the 3Rs for biomedical research” - 13 February 2014
- Release of A Guide to the care and use of Australian native mammals in research and teaching (2014)
Animal Welfare Committee (AWC)
The Animal Welfare Committee advises NHMRC on issues pertaining to the conduct and ethics on the use of animals for scientific purposes.
Animal research ethics publications
The NHMRC provides support and advice on animal ethics, including guidelines and information for Animal Ethics Committees and researchers. These guidelines should be read in conjunction with the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes 8th edition (2013).
- Use of animals in NHMRC funded-research
- Use of animals in the testing of cosmetics
- The use of non-human primates