A Research Fellowship is a five year fellowship supporting leading health and medical researchers in full-time research.
The objectives of the Research Fellowships scheme are to foster an intellectual environment which supports and builds the capacity of Australian research for the future and to create knowledge through investment in research which improves health and thus contributes to Australia’s prosperity.
Apply for funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/update your CV and Profile, and to submit your Research Fellowship application.
Applicants who are not yet registered in RGMS should contact the Research Help Centre at email@example.com for more information.
A complete Research Fellowship application consists of:
- The relevant information in your RGMS Profile and CV
- Completion of Parts A and B (including the Grant Proposal PDF) of the application form
Prior to submission of an application for a Research Fellowship, applicants are to ensure they:
- Read all relevant reference material
- Liaise with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the institution may have
- Ensure their application is complete and correct (once submitted to NHMRC, an application will be considered final and no changes will be accepted).
The key dates for the Research Fellowships 2017 funding round are as follows:
- Applications open: 7 December 2016
- Applications close: 17:00 hrs (5:00pm) AEDT, 1 February 2017
Changes to the 2017 Research Fellowships Funding Rules for funding commencing for 2018
- Section 9.1 – Applicants can inform NHMRC of any special considerations for their interview via a webform.
- Section 10.4 – Clarification regarding parental leave.
- The requirement for professors to apply at PRF or SPRF levels and provide a justification if applying at SRF levels has been removed.
- ‘Assessing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Contributions’ text included in Attachment A: Category Descriptors.
Documentation to Apply for a Research Fellowship
- NHMRC Funding Rules 2017 incorporating the Research Fellowships Funding Rules for funding commencing in 2018
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants 2017 incorporating the Research Fellowships Advice and Instructions for funding commencing in 2018
- A Guide to NHMRC Peer Review 2017 incorporating the Research Fellowships Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2018
- RGMS User Guides
Research Classifications Guides including Broad Research Area, Fields of Research and NHMRC Keyword ⁄ Phrases
- Australian Standard Research Classifications and NHMRC Research Keywords/Phrases
Research Fellowship Applications in Indigenous Health and Well-being
- Indigenous Research Excellence Criteria - see Section 6.3 of the NHMRC Funding Rules 2017
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your administering institution:
Contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Archived Documentation for the Previous Round
- NHMRC Funding Rules incorporating the Research Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2017
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants incorporating the Research Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2017
- A Guide to NHMRC Peer Review incorporating the Research Fellowships Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2017