The NHMRC Postgraduate Scholarships scheme funds successful applicants to attain a research based postgraduate degree (Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or a Masters Degree).
It aims to support these outstanding health and medical graduates early in their career so they can be trained to conduct research that is internationally competitive and develop a capacity for original independent research within Australia.
Apply for funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/update your CV and profile and to submit your Postgraduate Scholarship application. If they have not already done so, applicants are advised to gain an RGMS log on and commence their CV and profile.
Applicants who are not yet registered on RGMS, should contact the Research Help Centre at email@example.com for more information.
A complete Postgraduate Scholarships application consists of:
- Completion of Parts A and B of the application form including all required PDF uploads; and
- The relevant information in your RGMS profile and CV.
Prior to submission, applicants are to ensure they:
- Read all the relevant reference material;
- Liaise with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the institution may have; and
- Ensure their application is complete and correct. Once an application has been submitted to NHMRC, it will be considered final and no changes can be accepted.
Applicants are advised to contact the Research Administration Office (RAO) at their Administering Institution early in the application process and are asked to direct any questions they may have to their RAO.
The key dates for the 2017 Postgraduate Scholarships application round are as follows:
- Applications Open: 12 April 2017
- Applications Close: 7 June 2017 at 17:00 hours (5.00pm) AEST
Changes to the Postgraduate Scholarships Scheme for 2017
Applicants should note that there are no changes to the Postgraduate Scholarships scheme-specific Funding Rules for funding commencing in 2018.
Documentation to Apply for a Postgraduate Scholarship
- NHMRC Funding Rules 2017, incorporating the Postgraduate Scholarships Scheme specific Funding Rules for funding commencing in 2018
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants 2017 incorporating the Postgraduate Scholarships Scheme Specific Advice and Instructions to Applicants for funding commencing in 2018
- Guide to NHMRC Peer Review 2017 incorporating Postgraduate Scholarships Scheme Specific Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2018
- Postgraduate Scholarships Grant Proposal Template (DOC, 25KB)
- PGS Supervisor Report – With an RGMS profile (DOC, 63KB)
- PGS Supervisor Report – Without an RGMS profile (DOC, 59KB)
- For applicants wishing to apply for a Co-Funded Postgraduate Scholarship, the following document provides details about current NHMRC Postgraduate Scholarship Co-Funding Partners:
- Category details and allowance information can be found at this location:
- Research Classifications Guides including Broad Research Area, Fields of Research and NHMRC Keyword ⁄ Phrases:
- Indigenous Research Excellence Criteria:
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your Administering Institution:
Contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.