The NHMRC Postgraduate Scholarships scheme funds successful applicants to attain a research based postgraduate degree (Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or a Masters Degree).
It aims to support these outstanding health and medical graduates early in their career so they can be trained to conduct research that is internationally competitive and develop a capacity for original independent research within Australia.
Apply for funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/update your CV and profile and to submit your Postgraduate Scholarship application. If they have not already done so, applicants are advised to gain an RGMS log on and commence their CV and profile.
Applicants who are not yet registered on RGMS, should contact the Research Help Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A complete Postgraduate Scholarships application consists of:
- Completion of Parts A and B of the application form including all required PDF uploads; and
- The relevant information in your RGMS profile and CV
Prior to submission, applicants are to ensure they:
- Read all the relevant reference material;
- Liaise with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the institution may have; and
- Ensure their application is complete and correct. Once an application has been submitted to NHMRC, it will be considered final and no changes can be accepted.
Applicants are advised to contact the Research Administration Office (RAO) at their Administering Institution early in the application process and are asked to direct any questions they may have to their RAO.
The key dates for the 2016 Postgraduate Scholarships application round are as follows:
- Applications Open: 27 April 2016
- Applications Close: 29 June 2016 at 17:00hours (5.00pm) AEST
Changes to the Postgraduate Scholarships Scheme for 2016
Applicants should note the following changes to the Postgraduate Scholarships scheme-specific Funding Rules for funding commencing in 2017:
- Section 5 – Eligibility
- All applicants must only apply for one Postgraduate Scholarship, regardless of the category in which they are applying.
- Applicants will be ineligible if they have completed more than 24 months of their PhD candidature as at 1 January in the first year of funding (or 12 months of their Masters candidature if applying for a Masters Postgraduate Scholarship).
- Wording has been added to the section regarding an applicant’s citizenship requirements.
- Section 6 – Categories of Award
The ‘Clinical Research Postgraduate Scholarship’ has been renamed the ‘Medical/Dental Postgraduate Scholarship’
- Section 8.5 – Facilitation of International Indigenous Researcher Networks
- Funding is available to applicants of Aboriginal and Torres Strait descent for international collaboration purposes.
- Attachment A – Category Descriptors for Assessing Postgraduate Scholarships
- A revised set of category descriptors have been implemented for assessing Postgraduate Scholarship applications in the form of a 7-point scoring scale.
Documentation to Apply for a Postgraduate Scholarship
- NHMRC Funding Rules 2016, incorporating the Postgraduate Scholarships Scheme specific Funding Rules for funding commencing in 2017
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants 2016 incorporating the Postgraduate Scholarships Scheme Specific Advice and Instructions to Applicants for funding commencing in 2017
- Guide to NHMRC Peer Review 2016 incorporating Postgraduate Scholarships Scheme Specific Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2017
Category details and allowance information can be found at this location:
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your Administering Institution:
Contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email email@example.com.