The Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD) supports international and interdisciplinary collaborations in research, focusing on chronic non-communicable diseases.
The GACD places particular emphasis on research into cardiovascular diseases (mainly heart disease and stroke), type 2 diabetes, chronic respiratory conditions, mental health and certain cancers. The work of the GACD focuses on the needs of low and middle income countries (LMICs) and vulnerable populations in more developed countries.
Current members of the GACD include:
- Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Research and Innovation DG, European Commission (EC)
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
- Medical Research Council, UK (MRC)
- National Institutes of Health, USA (NIH)
- National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- South African Medical Research Council (SA MRC)
- Mexico’s National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition Salvador Zubiran
- Thailand’s Health Systems Research Institute
- Argentina’s Ministry of Science, Technology and Productive Innovation (MINCYT)
- São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP)
- Japan’s Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED).
Apply for funding
GACD Request for Applications: prevention and management of mental disorders
NHMRC is participating in a GACD Request for Applications (RFA) on the prevention and management of mental disorders in LMICs and Indigenous communities in high income countries. This RFA will open 18 January 2017.
This call will focus on implementation research proposals on child, adolescent and adult age onset mental disorders including, but not limited to, dementia, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, alcohol and drug use disorders, etc., in LMICs as defined by The World Bank (link is external), and Indigenous communities in high income countries. Full details of the aim, scope and assessment criteria of this call can be found on the GACD website (link is external).
As part of this call, NHMRC is encouraging applications that address the prevention and management of mental disorders in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations.
- Applications will open in RGMS 18 January 2017
- Applications will be reviewed by an NHMRC peer review panel to establish a Not for Further Consideration (NFFC) list
- Applications not on the NFFC list will be reviewed by a joint international peer review panel selected by participating GACD agencies.
- Applications OPEN – 18 January 2017
- Minimum data due – 15 February 2017
- Applications CLOSE – 1 March 2017.
Documentation to Apply
- NHMRC Funding Rules Incorporating the GACD RFA: prevention and management of mental disorders
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants Rules incorporating the GACD RFA : prevention and management of mental disorders
- Grant Proposal Template
- NHMRC Category Descriptors for GACD RFA: prevention and management of mental disorders
- RGMS User Guides
- Budget mechanism for funding commencing in 2017
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your administering institution Research Administration Office in the first instance. If you require further assistance contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.