The purpose of NHMRC Early Career Fellowships (ECFs) is to provide opportunities for Australian researchers to undertake research that is both of major importance in its field and of benefit to Australian health.
A major objective of the scheme is to foster career development at the postdoctoral level by encouraging the beneficial experience of a different research environment.
ECFs provide for advanced training in health and medical research either in Australia or overseas (where appropriate), to enable Fellows to work on research projects with nominated advisers. Awards are offered to a limited number of persons of outstanding ability who wish to make research a significant component of their career.
Apply for funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/enter your CV and Profile, and submit your Early Career Fellowship application. Applicants that are not yet registered in RGMS should contact the Research Help Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A complete ECF application consists of:
- Parts A and B of the application form including all required PDF uploads; and
- The relevant information in your RGMS Profile and CV.
Prior to submission, applicants are to ensure they:
- Read all relevant reference material;
- Liaise with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the institution may have; and
- Ensure their application is complete and correct. Once submitted to NHMRC, your application will be considered final and no changes can be accepted.
Applicants are advised to contact the Research Administration Office (RAO) at their Administering Institution early in the application process and are asked to direct any questions they may have to their RAO.
The key dates for the ECF 2017 application round are as follows:
- Applications open: 11 January 2017
- Applications close: 1 March 2017 at 17:00 hrs (5:00pm) AEDT
Changes to the Early Career Fellowships for 2017
Several changes have been made to the Early Career Fellowships Scheme-Specific Funding Rules for funding commencing in 2018, as summarised below:
- Wording has been added to clarify the eligibility requirements of MBBS holders
- Wording has been added to clarify clinical loading provisions
- Wording has been added to clarify overseas allowance provisions
- Wording has been added to clarify Parental leave arrangements
- INSERM Exchange Program is no longer available through the Early Career Fellowships Scheme.
Documentation to Apply for an Early Career Fellowship
- Early Career Fellowships Scheme-Specific Funding Rules for funding commencing in 2018
- Early Career Fellowships Scheme-Specific Advice and Instructions to Applicants for funding commencing in 2018
- Early Career Fellowships Scheme-Specific Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2018
Further informationEarly Career Fellowships - for funding commencing in 2017
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your administering institution contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email email@example.com.
Archived Documentation for the Previous Round
Funding Outcomes-Historical Information