The Centres of Research Excellence (CRE) scheme will provide support for teams of researchers to pursue collaborative research and develop capacity in clinical, population health and health services research.
Funding will support three streams:
- CRE in Clinical Research;
- CRE in Health Services Research;
- CRE in Population Health Research;
Apply for funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/update your profile and CV and to submit your CRE application. If they have not already done so, applicants are advised to obtain an RGMS log on and commence their profile and CV.
Applicants who are not yet registered in RGMS, should contact the Research Help Centre by emailing email@example.com for more information.
A complete CRE application must consist of the following:
- Completion of Parts A and B of the application form (including the Grant Proposal pdf);
- The relevant information in your RGMS profile and CV.
Prior to submission of an application for CRE funding, applicants need to ensure they have:
- read all relevant reference material,
- liaised with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the Institution might have.
The key dates for the 2016 CRE funding round are as follows:
Wednesday 19 October 2016 – Applications Open in RGMS
Wednesday 16 November 2016 – Minimum Data due 5pm AEDT
Wednesday 30 November 2016 – Applications Close 5pm AEDT
All applicants are required to commence their application and provide the specified minimum data in RGMS by Wednesday 16 November 2016 to allow the NHMRC to start sourcing reviewers with appropriate expertise. Applications initiated after this date will not be accepted.
Key Changes to the CRE applications for the 2016 Funding Round
The following application priority areas have been added for this round:
Electromagnetic Energy – Available under all streams
Primary Health Care – Available only under the Health Services Research stream.
Further information regarding these priority areas is available from the NHMRC Funding Rules 2017 incorporating the Centres of Research Excellence scheme for funding commencing in 2017.
Documentation to Apply for a CRE
- NHMRC Funding Rules 2017 incorporating the Centres of Research Excellence scheme for funding commencing in 2017
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants 2017 incorporating the Centres of Research Excellence scheme for funding commencing in 2017
- A Guide to NHMRC Peer Review 2017 incorporating the Centres of Research Excellence Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2017
- RGMS Offline Application forms
- RGMS User Guides
- Budget mechanism for funding commencing in 2017
Research Classifications Guides including Broad Research Area, Fields of Research and NHMRC Keyword ⁄ Phrases
CRE Applications in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health and Well-being
Applicant Response (Rebuttal) Dates
The Applicant Response (Rebuttal) process was introduced to the peer review of CRE applications in 2015. Further information on the Applicant Response (Rebuttal) is available in the CRE scheme-specific Peer Review Guidelines.
- How to go about completing and submitting your rebuttal and authorising an RAO to submit rebuttal comments on your behalf: see Section 5.2 Research Grants Management System User Guide – Assessment Processes
Not for Further Consideration (NFFC) Process
Summary of NFFC process
The Not for Further Consideration (NFFC) process was introduced into the peer review of CRE applications in 2015. This process identifies the least competitive applications received by NHMRC based on initial scores provided by the primary and secondary spokespersons and aims to remove them from progressing further through to the face-to-face GRP and applicant interview process.
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance. If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your administering institution:
Contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.