The Australian Government announced as part of the 2014 Budget an additional $200 million over five years to boost Australia’s dementia research capacity.
The purpose of the Boosting Dementia Research Leadership Fellowships Scheme is to expand leadership in dementia research, by supporting mid-career researchers to transition to leadership positions.
Successful Fellows will be required to participate in activities of the NHMRC National Institute for Dementia Research (NNIDR), which provides a platform for strategically expanding dementia research in Australia, ensures better integration with international research, and forms a focus for rapid translation of evidence into policy and practice.
The specific objectives of the initiative are to:
- expand capacity for dementia research and for evidence based policy development in Australian health systems
- enable investigators to establish and support themselves as independent, self-directed researchers
- encourage the translation of research outcomes into practice
- bridge the gap between research and industry
- provide a means for Australian researchers working overseas to return to Australia to continue their career development.
Apply for Funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/update your profile and CV and to submit your application. If they have not already done so, applicants are advised to obtain an RGMS log on and commence their profile and CV.
Applicants who are not yet registered in RGMS should contact the Research Help Centre by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A complete application must consist of the following:
- Completion of Parts A and B of the application form (including the Grant Proposal pdf); and
- The relevant information in your RGMS profile and CV.
Prior to submission of an application for funding, applicants need to ensure they have:
- Read all relevant reference material; and
- Liaised with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the Institution might have.
The key dates for the Boosting Dementia Research Leadership Fellowships scheme are as follows:
- Applications OPEN 23 November 2016
- Minimum data requirements due by 5pm (AEDT) 18 January 2017
- Applications CLOSE 5pm (AEDT) 8 February 2017
- Commencement date 1 September 2017.
Documentation to Apply for a Boosting Dementia Research Leadership Fellowship
- Boosting Dementia Research Leadership Fellowship Scheme-Specific Funding Rules
- Boosting Dementia Research Leadership Fellowship Scheme-Specific Advice and Instructions
- Boosting Dementia Research Leadership Fellowship Scheme-Specific Peer Review Guidelines
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your administering institution, contact the Research Help Centre on
1800 500 983, or email email@example.com.