The Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) - Indigenous Health Research Fund’s intent is to mobilise health and medical research for the prevention of disease and promotion of health and social equity. Through cohesive research led by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, designed to deliver community benefit, it seeks to inform and transform the way the health system responds to the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across the life course.
The objective of this grant opportunity is to provide grants of financial assistance to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander led medical research and medical innovation projects that:
- Stream 1 (Incubator): conduct small-scale developmental projects to establish teams and feasible, evidence-based approaches:
- Topic A: that demonstrate the key actions that are most effective in improving health and development outcomes for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children over the first 2000 days.
- Topic B: that demonstrate or identify interventions that are most effective in reducing the multiple risk factors within Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities that contribute to chronic diseases
- Topic C: to improve our understanding of the contribution of culture and cultural practices to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing.
- Stream 2 (Targeted Call for Research): develop effective approaches for improving the quality, research capabilities and impact of interventions within primary health care, through:
- the translation of evidence into practice in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander led primary health care and other sectors of the health system
- access to essential primary care through novel/innovative health system interventions in areas without adequate access to care
- involvement by primary care workers in research, to ensure clinical and community relevance of research projects.
Stream 1 (Incubator) is intended to support early stage, small scale research projects that seek to assess the potential and feasibility of novel strategies to address critical or intractable health issues.
Stream 2 (Targeted Call for Research) is intended to support large-scale interdisciplinary research.
Applications to this grant opportunity must propose research that addresses one of the two Streams of research. An application may be submitted to one of the above two Streams only. Applicants must specify the Stream to which they are applying in their application. Applicants to Stream 1 (Incubator) must also specify which of the three topics in that Stream (Topic A, Topic B or Topic C) is the focus of their project.
This grant opportunity is being administered by NHMRC on behalf of the Australian Government Department of Health.
Further information on the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) is available from the Department of Health’s MRFF website.