The Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) Genomics Health Futures Mission’s intent is to improve the lives of Australians by accelerating research that delivers more effective testing, diagnosis and treatment; facilitates the adoption of new interventions; and consolidates Australia’s international leadership in genomics.
The objective of the 2020 Genomics Health Futures Mission Grant Opportunity is to provide grants of financial assistance to support Australian medical research and medical innovation projects that:
- Stream 1 (Targeted Call for Research): identify and diagnose novel - primarily monogenic or oligogenic - rare diseases and increase the genomic diagnostic rate towards 70% by 2025.
- Stream 2 (Targeted Call for Research): improve early detection and targeted treatment for the most common cancers to reduce the burden of disease. Research proposals in this stream must focus on one of the following topics:
- Topic A: discover clinically relevant biomarkers to improve early detection of common cancers
- Topic B: develop genomic tools and technologies to identify genetic predisposition to cancer and improve screening and targeted intervention
- Topic C: develop genomic screening tools for predictive disease modelling and to guide therapy.
- Stream 3 (Targeted Call for Research): promote diagnostic effectiveness and efficiency through better understanding of the impact of genetic variants through functional genomics by establishing a national functional genomics approach to enhance novel gene discoveries, increase diagnostic rates and enable disease modelling to support development of targeted therapies. All three Streams are intended to support large-scale interdisciplinary research.
The intended outcomes of the research funded by this grant opportunity are to improve the health and wellbeing of Australians by:
- Stream 1 (Targeted Call for Research): enabling earlier and more efficient genomic diagnosis of rare diseases to inform clinical options and pathways
- Stream 2 (Targeted Call for Research): enabling earlier and more effective interventions and treatments for common cancers
- Stream 3 (Targeted Call for Research): increasing knowledge of the impact of genetic variants on health to support development of earlier and more effective diagnosis, interventions and treatments.
This grant opportunity is being administered by NHMRC on behalf of the Australian Government Department of Health.
Further information on the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) is available from the Department of Health’s MRFF website.