Medical Research Future Fund – 2021 Dementia, Ageing and Aged Care Grant Opportunity (GO ID: GO5089)
The Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) – Dementia, Ageing and Aged Care Mission - 2021 Dementia, Ageing and Aged Care Grant Opportunity will support Australian medical research and medical innovation projects that:
- Stream 1 (Accelerator): conduct implementation research on preventive health care to:
- better understand enablers and barriers
- develop tools and strategies for improving access to and utilisation of care. Strategies should focus on mid-life and beyond.
- Stream 2 (Targeted Call for Research): conduct research to support early diagnosis and treatment of conditions that are prevalent among older Australians. The research should address stigma and include vulnerable populations.
- Stream 3 (Targeted Call for Research): through a competitively selected national consortium identify the key components of high-quality care for older Australians and how these can be combined to ensure optimal care. The national consortium will determine how to measure the key components for all specific care settings and population groups and ensure the components can be readily adopted and implemented nationally.
- Stream 4 (Incubator): improve care for older Australians by optimising informatics approaches that gather nationally representative data. The research must conduct a small-scale development project to establish feasible, evidence-based approaches that cover:
- an individual’s journey across the care continuum
- variations in care across jurisdictions and between care settings, allowing for comparisons
- the care provided to individuals so that differences between individuals in the same setting can be compared
- individuals reported wellbeing in different care settings.
The intended outcome of the research funded by this grant opportunity is to improve the health and wellbeing of Australians by:
- Stream 1 (Accelerator): identifying and implementing interventions to extend healthy, active years of life
- Stream 2 (Targeted Call for Research): implementing appropriate support approaches that reduce stigma associated with dementia and enable better outcomes for older people, including those in vulnerable populations
- Stream 3 (Targeted Call for Research): improving the consistency and quality of care for older Australians across all care settings
- Stream 4 (Incubator): supporting the development of more effective, evidence-based care approaches using data for older Australians in care.
This grant opportunity is being administered by NHMRC on behalf of the Australian Government Department of Health.
Further information on the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) is available from the Department of Health’s MRFF website.