The GACD funding call will focus on implementation research proposals for the primary and/or secondary prevention of cancer in Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs) and/or in populations facing conditions of vulnerability in High-Income Countries (HICs).
The Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD) supports international and interdisciplinary collaborations in research, focusing on chronic non-communicable diseases.
The GACD places particular emphasis on research into cardiovascular diseases (mainly heart disease and stroke), type 2 diabetes, chronic respiratory conditions, mental health and certain cancers. The work of the GACD focuses on the needs of LMICs and vulnerable populations in more developed countries.
The GACD has launched a promotional video, highlighting the need for coordinated global research funding to tackle the ever-growing burden of chronic diseases worldwide. The video is available on YouTube.
Apply for funding
NHMRC is participating in the GACD funding call focusing on implementation research proposals for the primary and/or secondary prevention of cancer in Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs) and/or in populations facing conditions of vulnerability in High-Income Countries (HICs).
The call will focus on implementation research for the primary and/or secondary prevention of cancer in LMICs and/or in populations facing conditions of vulnerability in HICs. Full details of the aim, scope and assessment criteria of this call can be found on the GACD website.
As part of this call, NHMRC “would especially welcome” applications that address Indigenous health, and in particular applications that involve collaborations between Australia, Canada and/or New Zealand.
Current members of the GACD involved in this call are:
- Secretariat of Government of Health (MINSAL), Argentina
- National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC), Australia
- São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), Brazil
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Research & Innovation DG, European Commission (EC)
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
- Health Research Council (HRC), New Zealand
- South African Medical Research Council (SA MRC)
- Health Systems Research Institute (HSRI), Thailand
- UK Medical Research Council (MRC)
- US National Institutes of Health (NIH).
This GACD funding call is being conducted in a two-stage assessment process consisting of an initial NHMRC peer review process, resulting in a list of Not For Further Consideration (NFFC) applications, followed by non-NFFC applications proceeding to a Joint International Review Panel.
- Applications submitted in GACD’s common submission portal
- NHMRC assesses eligibility of applications (via the GACD portal) and conducts initial peer review process
- NFFC list developed.
- Non-NFFC applications reviewed by a Joint International Review Panel.
NHMRC then invites eligible researchers (of applications deemed fundable by the Panel) to apply to NHMRC for research funding via the NHMRC’s grant management system.