The Australian Government announced as part of the 2014 Budget an additional $200 million over five years to boost Australia’s dementia research capacity.
The purpose of the Boosting Dementia Research Leadership Fellowships Scheme is to expand leadership in dementia research, by supporting mid-career researchers to transition to leadership positions.
The specific objectives of the initiative are to:
- expand capacity for dementia research and for evidence based policy development in Australian health systems
- enable investigators to establish and support themselves as independent, self-directed researchers
- encourage the translation of research outcomes into practice
- bridge the gap between research and industry
- provide a means for Australian researchers working overseas to return to Australia to continue their career development.
Outcomes were announced by the Minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt MP, on 31 July 2017.