Part 2 of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 establishes the IPS for Australian Government agencies subject to the Act. The IPS commenced on 1 May 2011 and requires agencies to publish a broad range of information on their websites and to list certain documents not available online and how they can be accessed. All of these materials are indexed from this central IPS entry point.
Information on requesting access to other information the NHMRC holds, through a Freedom of Information request, can be found on our Freedom of Information page.
Information that we have released under Freedom of Information requests is available on our FOI Disclosure Log page.
1) Agency IPS plan
2) Who we are
3) What we do
- NHMRC's Role
- National Health and Medical Research Council Act 1992
- Research Involving Human Embryos Act 2002
- Prohibition of Human cloning for Reproduction Act 2002
- APS Values and Code of Conduct
Other than its functions as set out in the NHMRC Act, as a statutory authority NHMRC is also bound by the Public Service Act 1999, the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013, and other legislation and regulations as determined by the Public Service Commission (www.apsc.gov.au).
4) Agency operational information
- NHMRC's Role
- NHMRC Corporate Plan
- Research Funding Statistics and Data
- Funding Policies
- Applying for Research funding
- Protocols for externally developed guidelines
- Complaints procedures
- Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research
- National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (2007)
- Australian code of practice for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes 8th Edition, 2013
5) Agency appointments – non-APS employees
- Appointment of CEO
- Appointments to Council
- Appointments to Principal Committees
- Appointments to the Audit Committee
- Appointment of Commissioner of Complaints
6) Our Reports and information that the agency routinely provides to Parliament
- Annual Reports
- Licensing Committee publications (Licensing Committee biannual reports to Parliament)
- NHMRC Corporate Plan
- Senate Standing Orders No 9 - consultants/contractors (Murray Motion)
7) Public consultation arrangements
The NHMRC is dedicated to ensuring that the Australian community has the best opportunity to participate in developing NHMRC health advice, advice on ethical behaviour in health care and the conduct of medical research. A public consultation strategy is an important part of any NHMRC recommendation or guideline development process. All NHMRC public consultations can be found on our public consultation website (see below).
8) Routinely requested information under the FOI Act and FOI disclosure log
Where the NHMRC identifies information routinely requested and released in response to FOI requests, we will actively release that information through our IPS.
Some of this information may already be available on our FOI Disclosure Log page.
9) Officer to be contacted for Freedom of Information matters
10) Optional Information
- NHMRC procurement (this page includes links to Legal services reporting and our Annual Procurement Plan)
- Research funding statistics and data
- Media releases
- Our finances
- Publications and Guidelines
11) Documents not available online
If you wish to have access to any of the documents in the list below of documents not available online please contact us.
There may be charges where the reimbursement or incidental cost would be more than $100. Generally we will not charge where the cost would be below $100. Charges are noted in the following table.
10 cents per page
Copy (other than photocopy)
$4.40 per page
Copy of the document in the form of a computer tape or a computer disk
An amount not exceeding the actual costs incurred by the NHMRC in producing the copy
Copy of the document to be sent to the applicant by post or delivered to the applicant
An amount not exceeding the cost of postage or delivery
Documents currently not available online
|na||National Health and Medical Research Council Session Reports (2nd-114th)||Various|
|na||NHMRC Committees appointed by the CEO under Section 39 of the NHMRC Act||Various|
If you need assistance because the document or information on this website is not available in a format you can access please contact us for an alternative accessible format. We have further information on accessibility here.
We invite you to provide comments on our Information Publication Scheme entry, particularly in relation to any documents that appear not to be discoverable, understandable or machine-readable. See our general contacts page for information on contacting us.