Working at NHMRC

This section provides potential applicants with information about the conditions of engagement to NHMRC.

General information

NHMRC staff are employed under the Public Service Act 1999. All APS employees are required to uphold the APS Values, Employment Principles and APS Code of Conduct.

NHMRC is an independent agency within the Health and Ageing portfolio. View more information on the NHMRC structure.

Remuneration and conditions are covered under the:

Australian citizenship

To be eligible for engagement as an ongoing (permanent) or a non-ongoing (temporary) employee, NHMRC requires that you are an Australian citizen, or be in the process of obtaining citizenship, as detailed in the Public Service Act 1999. In exceptional circumstances you may be engaged if you satisfy NHMRC that you are in the process of becoming an Australian citizen. You will need to provide NHMRC with proof of your Australian citizenship or application for Australian citizenship.


Employees new to the APS are subject to a probationary period of up to six months. This period enables your manager to assess your suitability for employment in regards to conduct and work performance. It also allows time for you to decide if NHMRC is the right workplace for you. For further information refer to the APS Values, Employment Principles and APS Code of Conduct and the National Health and Medical Research Council Enterprise Agreement (see above).

Character and security clearances

Engagement is subject to a satisfactory police record check and the provision of evidence to confirm your identity. NHMRC may also require you to undergo a security clearance. This will be advised in the Applicant Information.

Health clearance

Ongoing employees who are new to the Australian Public Service may be required to undergo a medical assessment. Your ongoing engagement may be subject to the condition that you are fit to perform the duties of your position, taking into account any reasonable adjustments required to accommodate any pre-existing condition or disability.

Voluntary redundancies

If you have received a redundancy benefit from an APS agency, the Australian Parliamentary Service, or the Murray Darling Basin Commission, please indicate the date you received the benefit in your application. Please contact Human Resources for further information on the effect of your redundancy on employment in the APS.