NHMRC is one of the organisations that may approve a body as an Approved Research Institute (ARI).
Table of contents
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is responsible for the administration of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997. For the purposes of section 30-40(1) of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997, NHMRC is one of the organisations that may approve a body as an Approved Research Institute (ARI).
Initial request to become an Approved Research Institute
If you are seeking to become an ARI a written application should be sent to:
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3373
PENRITH NSW 2740
The requirements that the body must meet to be approved as an ARI are set out in the ‘Guidelines for Approved Research Institutes’ which can be found on the Australian Tax Office website.
The ATO will assess the application against its criteria and requirements for deductible gift recipients and forward the application to NHMRC for further consideration if the applicant’s field of research focus is congruent with NHMRC’s expertise/functions. Once the application has been considered, the ATO will advise the applicant of the outcome.
Variation to Committee Membership
All requests for changes in membership to the ARI’s Research Committee should be sent directly to NHMRC (if it was the approving organisation).
The requirements for an ARI’s Research Committee are detailed on the Australian Tax Office website.
Requests to vary an ARI’s Research Committee must contain the following information:
- Name of the ARI
- Name of the Research Committee
- Name/s of the members being replaced
- Name/s of the proposed new members
- A CV for each proposed member, including:
- A list of academic qualifications
- A list of professional appointments
- Information outlining a proven ability to direct a research program
- A signed statement from each proposed member agreeing to serve on the Research Committee.
- Signed consent from all other Research Committee members.
NHMRC will contact the ARI directly with the outcome of the variation request or if further information is required.