This Committee will oversee and advise of any relevant changes to the Australian Guidelines for Reducing the Health Risks from Drinking Alcohol.
The Alcohol Working Committee will oversee and provide expertise to the revision of the Australian Guidelines for Reducing the Health Risks from Drinking Alcohol 2009.
Terms of reference
The Alcohol Working Committee will:
- Consider the process for development of the 2009 Guidelines and identify priority areas for review.
- Guide the development of an evaluation of the evidence, including modelling, on the health effects of drinking alcohol, focusing on studies/data published since 2007.
- Consider the outcomes of the evidence evaluation, and use these findings to inform the update of NHMRC’s Australian Guidelines to Reduce Health Risks from Drinking Alcohol 2009.
- Consider comments received during consultation on the draft revised guidelines.
- Update the revised draft with consideration to comments received from public consultation and expert review.
Senior Staff Specialist and Professor of Addiction Medicine at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and Sydney Medical School, the University of Sydney.
- A former Board member of the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (until February 2017).
- A member of a number of associations which advocate to reduce harms from alcohol, including:
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
- NSW ACT Alcohol Policy Alliance.
- The Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Network (NSW, associate member) and The University of Sydney.
- Has held past and present NHMRC research grants in the alcohol field, and is likely to apply for future research or person funding from NHMRC.
- Current grants: GNT1087192:"Better methods to collect self-report data on alcohol use behaviours from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians" and GNT1105339: "Increasing uptake of evidence-based management of unhealthy alcohol use in Aboriginal primary health care services".
- APP1117198: "A Centre for Research Excellence: Building Indigenous research capacity to find solutions to alcohol problems" and APP1117582: "Working with Indigenous services and communities to reduce the harms from alcohol".
- Many publications in the alcohol field on:
- Publications on potential benefits of alcohol to specific areas of health (insulin sensitivity, heart disease and stroke in middle aged men) and on the harms from alcohol, and approaches to prevent or reduce these.
- Publications advocating for improved policy.
- Early detection, prevention and treatment of alcohol problems.
- Previous consultancies to government bodies and to local and international agencies.
- Received travel funding from a Swedish research collaboration working to improved patient safety for surgical patients with risky alcohol intake
- Member of the organising committee for a conference which received funding from Drinkwise
- Twitter posts and media interviews commenting on approaches to reduce harms from alcohol. Topics include raising public awareness of the health effects of alcohol and advocating for evidence-based policy to reduce harms from alcohol.
Researcher in chronic disease epidemiology at the Australian National University.
Chief Investigator on NHMRC grants in cardiovascular disease, Aboriginal health and pharmaco-epidemiology, these include:
- NHMRC partnership project grant on cardiovascular inequalities.
- NHMRC centre of research excellence in medicines and ageing.
- NHMRC senior research fellowship.
- NHMRC project grant on high risk prescribing.
- NHMRC project grant – “the Forgotten Generation.
- NHMRC project grant - "seeding success".
- NHMRC project grant – “SEARCH follow up”.
- Additional grants:
- NSW Heart Foundation Cardiovascular research network development grant – improving outcomes for peoplewith cardiovascular disease in the community.
- Australian Primary Health Care Institute Centre of Research Excellence in urban Aboriginal Child Health.
- Chair of the Advisory Committee on the Safety of Medicines.
- Chair of Advisory Committee on the Safety of Vaccines.
- Member of Drug Utilisation Sub-Committee.
- Member of Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee.
- Member of National Research and Data Advisory Group for Cancer Australia.
- Publications on the health effects of alcohol including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, cirrhosis and gallbladder diseases.
Professor at the National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University.
- Member of Board of Directors (unpaid), Australian Drug Foundation (NGO).
- Consultancy fees/honorarium:
- WA Drug and Alcohol Office: Quantifying the cost of alcohol to the Western Australian Government;
- 2015 WA Drug and Alcohol Office: Development of an estimate of the harm impact and related costs associated with particular recommendations of the independent review of the Liquor Control Act 1988; 2014 ANPHA: Provision of alcohol data analysis for the preventative health report, 2013.
Publications: Over 150 peer-reviewed journal articles, reports and book chapters on evaluations of alcohol policy and alcohol epidemiology.
Expert Testimony: Expert witness for the Executive Director of Public Health on 6 occasions between 2001 and 2008 Expert witness for the City of Joondalup; 2008 Expert witness for the City of Darebin; 2007 Expert witness for the City of Subiaco; 2007 and 2004 Expert witness for WA Department of Racing Gaming and Liquor.
Support for travel or accommodation:
- 2013-2016, Economy class airfare and accommodation support to Gothenburg, Sweden to attend annual meeting of expert review panel funded by the Swedish Society of Medicine and Swedish IOGT-NTO.
- 2015-2016, Business class airfare Stockholm, Sweden and accommodation and expenses support for attending review of Swedish Government's Systembolaget.
Director of Public Health Insight, the University of Melbourne, and Joint Co-ordinating Editor, Cochrane Public Health.
Numerous publications on evidence synthesis processes and methods.
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Centre for Alcohol Policy Research, since 2006, originally at Turning Point and now at La Trobe University. The Centre for Alcohol Policy Research receives its core funding from the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education.
- Board member of Australian Rechabite Foundation, a foundation that funds research and community programs aimed at reducing alcohol-related harm.
- Numerous publications on trends and patterns of alcohol consumption and harm in Australia, with some papers having particular relevance to the low-risk drinking guidelines.
- Expert testimony in liquor licensing hearings - as part of his role in the Centre for Alcohol Policy Research.
- Regular submissions and expert evidence (on a pro bono basis) for local councils who are challenging the granting of liquor licences in the planning or licensing systems in Victoria.
Director, Turning Point at Eastern Health, and Professor of Addiction Studies and Services at Monash University.
- Chair of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists' Faculty of Addiction Psychiatry.
- Member of Victoria's Ice Taskforce and Expert Taskforce on Mental Health Involvement in organisation of meetings and conferences related to addiction.
- Consultancy fees/honorarium: Honoraria for talks during 2015 – Janssen and Astra Zeneca, and further talk for Astra Zeneca in June 2016.
- Publications: Numerous academic research papers in academic research journals. In some cases, these papers cover alcohol dependence or harms.
- Lecture and Speeches: Numerous plenary, keynote and invited speeches at national and international conferences.
- Expert Testimony: Multiple public submissions for state and federal inquiries related to alcohol and drug, gambling and mental health issues.
- Chief Investigator on NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence Grants (APP1001144 Reducing the health, social and economic burden of injecting drug use in Australia; APP264611 Preventive and early intervention strategies in emerging mental disorders in young people).
- Chief investigator on Victorian and Federal Department of Health grants related to a national ambulance surveillance system of alcohol and drug trends.
- Chief investigator on ANPHA related to the Young Australians Alcohol Reporting System.
- Chief Investigator on a number of NHMRC Project Grants including (APP1047492 Improving adolescent gate-keeping and help-seeking for risky drinking and depression: a cluster randomised controlled trial; APP628495 Cognitive control dysfunction in drug addiction.
- Chief investigator of grants from beyondblue regarding mental health first aid guidelines and treatment studies related to mental health and alcohol and drug use.
- Chief investigator of grant from VicHealth on developing parental guidelines for adolescent drinking.
- Chief investigator on grants from ARC, VicHealth, FARE and NSW Health examining alcohol and caffeinated energy drinks.
- Chief investigator on grant from National Drug Law Enforcement Fund examining patron offending and intoxication in night time entertainment districts.
- Chief investigator on ARC Discovery grant exploring social networks, identity and recovery from addiction.
- Chief investigator on Movember and beyond blue grant targeting a national ambulance approach to reduce suicide and to improve the mental health of men and boys.
- Chief Investigator on ARC Linkage grant estimating per capita use and release of chemicals by wastewater analysis.
- Chief Investigator on grant from Jack Brockoff Foundation developing a novel computerised brain training program to reduce relapse in alcohol-dependent patients.
- Chief Investigator on ARC Discovery Grant examining factors shaping recent developments in youth drinking.
- Chief Investigator on grant from Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation examining alcohol-related harms in older people.
- Current, past and likely future application to NHMRC and ARC for research and people support.
Support for travel or accommodation:
- Travel support from conference organisers to present my work at national and international conferences.
- Travel support and meal provision to attend meetings of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists.
- Travel support to attend meetings of the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre.
- Travel support to attend meetings of the Lundbeck Institute.
Research Associate at Curtin University, and Coordinator, Standards Monitoring at Western Australian Office of the Chief Psychiatrist.
- NHMRC Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship 2010-2014.
- NHMRC 2011-14 Project Grant Chief Investigator.
- ARC 2013 project grant, Australian Research Council (ARC) 2013 Chief Investigator. The grant was transferred to the CIB after leaving research.
- McCusker Foundation 2012 project funding (A novel project investigating the effect of prenatal alcohol exposure on epigenetic regulation in the infant: A crucial aspect of the AQUA cohort ).
- Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing funding 2010-2012. (Australian FASD Collaboration - FASD: Development of a Screening and Diagnosic Instrument for Australia).
- Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing 2010-2011 funding. (Alcohol and pregnancy and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: resources for health professionals working in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health care settings).
- Healthway 2005-08 Project Grant.
Support for travel or accommodation:
- Travel support and meal provision to attend meetings of:
- The Canadian FASD Prevalence Plan Forum hosted jointly by Health Child Manitoba and Public Health Canada.
- NHMRC Grant Review panel member 2010.
- The Injury Control Council of WA Community Safety and Injury Prevention Conference, Geraldton WA 2009.
- The ICGD Alcohol and Pregnancy workshop 2008.
Publications: Numerous publications relating to alcohol and pregnancy.
Director at Drug Policy Modelling Program, and Deputy Director, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre.
- Board Membership:
- Board member, Alcohol and Drug Council of Australia (ADCA), 2010 to present. NGO, not-for-profit peak body representing alcohol and drug treatment services, research centres.
- Immediate Past President, International Society for the Study of Drug Policy (2015-2016).
- Advisory Board member, LaTrobe University Centre for Alcohol Policy Research.
- All unpaid, to support research on the reduction of alcohol and other drug-related harm.
- In receipt of grants from NHMRC, ARC and other Category 1 funding bodies to conduct research on drug policy.
- In receipt of grants from Australian governments to conduct research on drug policy.
- Committee memberships (all unpaid): Member, NSW Needle and Syringe Program Planning Network (2014 - present).
- Member NHMRC Assigners Academy (2013-2014).
- Chair, Expert Reference Group, National Drug and Alcohol Clinical Care and Prevention Modelling Project (2010 to 2013).
- Member, National Drug Strategy Household Survey.
- Technical Advisory Group (2009 - current).
- Member, Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing Partners In Recovery Expert Reference Group (2012 to 2014).
- Member, Expert Steering Committee on Drug and Alcohol Treatment (2011-2012).
- Member, Alcohol’s Harm to Others Advisory Group (2012 - 2014).
- Advisory Panel Member, Development of needs-based planning models for substance use services and supports in Canada (Health Canada funded) (2011 - ).
- Member, Global Science Group for Addictions and Lifestyles in Contemporary Europe (ALICE) project (EU funded) (2011 - 2015).
- Chair, Drug Policy Working Group, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA funded) (2011 - ).
- Technical Advisor, International Centre for Science in Drug Policy.
Director, Community Based Treatment Drug and Alcohol Service SA and Director, WHO Collaborating Centre.
- Chief Investigator on NHMRC Project Grants APP1109466 APP 300471 350974.
- Associate Investigator on NHMRC Project Grants APP1062879.
- Randomised double-blind placebo-controlled study of lisdexamfetamine for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence.
- Adolescent Cannabis Check-up Longitudinal treatment outcomes for methamphetamine dependence: a treatment cohort study Improving alcohol treatment outcomes.
- National Health & Medical Research Council - Review of Recommendations Regarding Responsible Drinking Behaviour (1998).
- Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing –National Alcohol Treatment Guidelines Advisory Committee (2008).
- Cochrane Editorial Board – Drug & Alcohol Group, since 1997.
- WHO Expert Advisory Panel on Drug Dependence and Alcohol Problems since 2002.
Academic, Menzies School of Health Research.
- Research on patterns and consequences of alcohol use, and on interventions to change those patterns and consequences. This leads to the preparation of reports and publications. Some of this research is funded by research grants, some of it by consultancy agreements, for example, with the Northern Territory or Australian governments.
- On one occasion, in 2001, I received a research grant of $37,200 from the Australian Brewers' Foundation for a research project entitled 'The Northern Territory Living With Alcohol Program 1991-2000: A policy analysis'. This is the only instance of receiving research funds from any organisation affiliated with the liquor industry.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Foundation (subsequently renamed the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE)): 2001 to 2010 inclusive.
- Reports and publications on research on patterns and consequences of alcohol use, and on interventions to change those patterns and consequences.
- Papers and talks at conferences about alcohol use and associated issues.
- Presented a paper at the 14th Annual Australian Wine Industry Technical Conference, 3-8 July 2010, in Adelaide.
Professor of General Practice, Scientia Professor, and Executive Director at the Centre for Primary Health and Equity, the University of New South Wales.
- Board Memberships: Member of the Board of Directors of Central and Eastern Sydney Primary Health Network.
- Consultancy fees/honorarium: Evaluation of Primary Health Network In collaboration with Ernst and Young and Monash we are evaluators for the Commonwealth Department of Health of the Primary Health Networks.
- Deputy Director of the UNSW Translational Cancer Research Network.
- CI on NHMRC Partnership Project (APP1106372) with Monash University, Latrobe University, NSW Refugee Health Service, Settlement Services, AMES, South West Sydney Primary Health Network, Monash Health.
- Investigator on CRE on Access to Primary Health Care for Vulnerable Population Groups. Grant funded by Australian Primary Care Research Institute and Canadian Institutes of Health.
- CRE Obesity prevention and management in PHC (COMPaRE-PHC): Funded by Australian Primary Care Research Institute in collaboration with UTS, University of Sydney, University of Adelaide, University of Queensland and Deakin University.
- Numerous publications relating to alcohol and the role of primary health care.
Head, Consumer and Community Health Research Network, the University of Western Australia.
- Maintains a relationship with Care and Intervention for Children and Adolescents with Drug and Alcohol problems (CICADA) WA and Telethon Kids Institute WA.
- Since 2004 has facilitated and supported numerous consumer and community involvement activities in the FASD and Alcohol and Pregnancy research program at Telethon Kids Institute WA.
Director of Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Council, South Australia.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander representative.
- Co-Deputy Chair of the National Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Committee since it was first formed in early 2004.
- Former board member of the Foundation of Alcohol Research and Education.
- Numerous publications on alcohol use and treatment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.
- Chief investigator on a number of publications and evaluation of education program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people on alcohol addiction and substance misuse.
- 5 year NHMRC grant looking at better methods in collecting more accurate data on Aboriginal Alcohol use.
- Received a grant from Drinkwise to develop culturally appropriate resource “Alcohol Guidelines To Reduce The Lifetime Health Risks from drinking Alcohol” ISBN 978 0 9581309 67 (2010 ADAC).
Project manager, Menzies School of Health Research.
Employed at Menzies School of Health Research to manage a Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Prevention and Health Promotion Resources Project.
Guest lecture on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder at Queensland University of Technology.