In 2012, NHMRC launched the Research Translation Faculty (the Faculty), a major strategic initiative for health and medical research translation in Australia. The Faculty is represented by over 2,800 members made up of NHMRC-supported Chief Investigators and NHMRC Fellows.
The Faculty has been established as a key advisory forum to directly help NHMRC confront key challenges for the translation of health and medical research in Australia. This initiative will support more effective and accelerated translation of health and medical research into improved policy and practice in Australia. It will draw on the significant pool of scientific knowledge of its members and the experience they hold in positions in health policy and practice.
Initially, the Faculty is focusing on the key activity of identifying the most significant gaps between research evidence and health policy and practice in NHMRC’s Major Health Issues, and developing a compelling case for NHMRC on how to address those gaps - a Case for Action. Possible actions on how to address a gap might include advice to government about health policy, clinical or public health guidelines, or opportunities to collaborate with strategic partners.
While many Faculty members’ own work may focus on an individual patient level, a population level or a system-wide level, all three perspectives need to come together to drive change in the health system and obtain the greatest benefits for patients.
The Faculty also operates as a forum for members to share information and build research translation capabilities in Australia.
Fourteen Steering Groups are leading the development of the Cases for Action.
Any enquiries to the Faculty can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3rd annual Research Translation Faculty Symposium: programme, presentations and photos from the event on 12-13 November 2014. The theme for the conference was 'Achieving better health outcomes for Australians living with chronic conditions through more effective research translation'.
- 2nd NHMRC Symposium on Research Translation: program, presentations and photos from the event on 2 - 3 October 2013.
- NHMRC Research Translation Faculty – Launch at Symposium a resounding success: Media Release, 30 October 2012
- New approach to identifying evidence-practice gaps and research priorities - NHMRC Research Translation Faculty: Media Release, 17 August 2012
- CEO Health Research Translation Newsletter - December 2013
Page last updated on 24 November 2014