The translation of health and medical research into clinical practice, policy and health systems is a strategic priority in the NHMRC Corporate Plan 2015-16. In March 2015 NHMRC recognised four NHMRC Advanced Health Research and Translation Centres that excel in research, the translation of evidence into excellent patient care, and demonstrate a strong research and translation focus in the education of health professionals, at an international level.
Further information on the four AHRTCs is available at:
- Alfred Health and Monash Health and Partners Advanced Health Research and Translation Centre
- Melbourne Academic Health Centre
- South Australian Academic Health Science and Translation Centre
- Sydney Health Partners Advanced Health Research and Translation Centre
Translational Research Projects
The NHMRC Translational Research Projects for Improved Health Care Funding Scheme has been developed to leverage off the significant capacity being assembled in NHMRC Advanced Health Research and Translation Centres (AHRTCs). The aim of the scheme is to support the conduct of tightly focussed translational research projects with potential to deliver evidence-based improvements to patient outcomes or improved efficiency in healthcare within the Australian health system.
8 – 10 December 2014
International Panel meets to consider submissions against 6 criteria:
- Leadership in outstanding research- and evidence-based clinical care, including for the most difficult clinical conditions
- Excellence in innovative biomedical, clinical, public health and health services research
- Programs and activities to accelerate research findings into health care and ways of bringing health care problems to the researchers
- Research-infused education and training
- Health professional leaders who ensure that research knowledge is translated into policies and practices locally, nationally and internationally
- Strong collaboration amongst the research, translation, patient care and education programs.
16 July – 30 September 2014
NHMRC called for submissions from interested groups for recognition as an NHMRC Advanced Health Research and Translation Centres.
The following information was provided to assist groups to prepare submissions:
- CEO Newsletter: ‘Building scale, scope and excellence in research and translation’
- Stakeholder questions and answers: Questions and Answers regarding NHMRC Advanced Health Research and Translation Centres.
In addition, stakeholder teleconferences were held on 28th August and 2nd September to provide a further avenue for questions from stakeholders.
30 March 2012
21 December 2010
Further enquiries should be directed to AdvancedCentres@nhmrc.gov.au.