Please note: Some of these resources were developed prior to the 3 December 2009 release of the 2009 NHMRC Clinical practice guideline for the prevention of venous thromboembolism (deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) in patients admitted to Australian hospitals.
In 2010, NICS developed implementation resources to reflect the recommendations in this guideline.
Stop the Clot guide
The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC), in collaboration with the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (the Commission), have updated the Stop the Clot guide in 2011 to form a third edition. The guide is a practical tool to help hospitals integrate venous thromboembolism (VTE) recommendations into routine hospital care. It has been designed for use by risk managers and clinicians in a variety of hospital settings.
Clinical practice, policy and patient resources
NHMRC and Commission resources referenced throughout Stop the Clot are available to download below as well as from the Commission’s VTE Prevention Resource Centre.
Clinical practice resources
Policy and improvement resources
Patient information, Blood Clots: Reducing your risk, is available to help raise awareness of the importance of VTE prevention among hospital patients. It describes the treatments to prevent VTE and outlines what patients should do themselves to reduce risk. This brochure was developed to accompany the clinical practice guideline on VTE prevention and underwent stakeholder consultation and user-testing before publication in December 2010.
Note: The information in this brochure has not been translated into other languages. Patient information in other languages with the same messages for patients can be downloaded below.
Patient information in other languages
The second edition of the Stop the Clot consumer brochure has been translated into 13 languages: Arabic, Chinese, Croatian, French (new), Greek, Italian, Macedonian, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese.
These brochures were updated in April 2009.
- Stop the Clot brochure - Arabic (PDF, 942KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Chinese (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Croatian (PDF, 773KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - French (PDF, 795KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Greek (PDF, 958KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Italian (PDF, 737KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Macedonian (PDF, 819KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Polish (PDF, 890KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Russian (PDF, 843KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Serbian (PDF, 773KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Spanish (PDF, 1MB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Turkish (PDF, 831KB)
- Stop the Clot brochure - Vietnamese (PDF, 819KB)
Stop the Clot poster
A Stop the Clot poster was developed in 2007 to support the Venous Thromboembolism Prevention Program for display in hospitals. It is available in both colour and black and white formats (A4 size).