Templates to support procedures for seeking NHMRC approval
- Progress report template (PDF, 121KB)
- Nomination of independent expert clinical reviewers (PDF, 112KB)
- Public consultation information (PDF, 131KB)
- Methodological review template (PDF, 764KB)
- Information on the NHMRC procedures and requirements to meet the 2011 NHMRC standard for clinical practice guidelines
NHMRC levels of evidence and grades for recommendations for developers of clinical practice guidelines
This document presents a revised approach to grading of recommendations based on various levels of evidence where evidence obtained from intervention studies is unavailable.
This document supports guideline developers to assign levels of evidence, and subsequently grade their recommendations, according to study types and research questions. An expanded set of evidence levels has been developed for guidelines on diagnosis, prognosis, aetiology and screening.
The document, which was developed by Australian methodological specialists, was pilot tested over a three year period and represents the latest statement on NHMRC’s approach to the development of a broad range of clinical practice guidelines.
- NHMRC levels of evidence and grades for recommendations for developers of guidelines (2009) (PDF, 140KB)
- NHMRC Evidence Statement Form (Attachment 1) (RTF, 254KB)
A guide to the development, evaluation and implementation of clinical practice guidelines and accompanying handbooks
The following resources were developed by NHMRC to provide further details on how to develop high quality guidelines.
This publication includes the accompanying handbooks:
- How to review the evidence: Systematic identification and review of scientific literature (2000)
- How to present the evidence for consumers: Preparation of consumer publications (2000)
- How to prepare and present evidence-based information for consumers of health services: A literature review (1999)
- How to put evidence into practice: Implementation and dissemination strategies (2000)
- How to use the evidence: assessment and application of scientific evidence (2000)
- How to compare the costs and benefits: evaluation of the economic evidence (2001)
- Using socioeconomic evidence in clinical practice guidelines (2003)
Guidance for public health guidelines and evidence based advice
NHMRC is aware that information on public health guidelines and evidence-based advice is needed, and will be working to provide guidance in this area in the future.