The Australian Drinking Water Guidelines undergo rolling revision to ensure they represent the latest scientific evidence on good quality drinking water. As sections of the Guidelines continue to be reviewed, this page will be updated to provide the latest information.
The 2011 Australian Drinking Water Guidelines (ADWG) have been developed by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) in collaboration with the Natural Resource Management Ministerial Council (NRMMC). The ADWG are designed to provide an authoritative reference to the Australian community and the water supply industry on what defines safe, good quality water, how it can be achieved and how it can be assured. The guidelines have been developed after consideration of the best available scientific evidence and provide a framework for good management of drinking water supplies to ensure safety at point of use. They address both the health and aesthetic quality aspects of supplying good quality drinking water.
The recent update of the ADWG includes:
- New Information Sheets for Water Treatment Operators, which replaces Information Sheets on Disinfection;
- An update of the 1996 Chemical Fact Sheets on benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes; and
- A new resource – Guidance for issuing and lifting boil water advisories.
Public consultation on the proposed changes to the ADWG was held in 2012 and 2013 and summaries of the submissions received are available below.
- The 2011 version of the ADWG is only available electronically as a bookmarked PDF.
- Please note that when opening this document in some Internet browsers (particularly Internet Explorer and Google Chrome) bookmarks will not be displayed. We suggest you save a copy to your desktop to access this functionality.
- The December 2013 update of the document includes an interactive Table of Contents. Click on any item and it will link directly to that section or page of the document.
- Summary of public consultation for the Information Sheets for Water Treatment Operators (PDF, 218KB)
- Summary of public consultation for the Chemical Fact Sheets on benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes (PDF, 64KB)
- Summary of public consultation for the resource on Guidance for issuing and lifting boil water advisories (PDF, 100KB)
Public Consultation on the draft revised fact sheets on chloral hydrate and monochloramine
Public consultation on changes to draft chemical fact sheets on chloral hydrate and monochloramine was open from Monday 10 February 2014 until Wednesday 12 March 2014. NHMRC is now considering the submissions that were received during public consultation.