The NHMRC Road Map II: a Strategic Framework for Improving the Health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People through Research (Road Map II) has been developed to respond to issues raised in the review of the NHMRC Road Map: A Strategic Framework for Improving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Through Research (the Road Map).
Road Map II contains seven action areas for research. The action areas are aimed at:
- increasing participation by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander researchers in NHMRC programs and in health and medical research generally
- promoting and linking NHMRC’s activities in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health with the activities of other stakeholders in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- contributing to the Australian Government’s Close the Gap health initiatives in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- supporting researchers in biomedical, clinical, health services and public health research to work collaboratively
- supporting research endeavours that generate accessible and effective clinical and public health medicine in partnership with the Aboriginal community-controlled health sector.
Road Map II was endorsed by the NHMRC Council at its 180th Session on 9 December 2009.