Mental health is one of the major health issues identified in the 2010-2012 NHMRC Strategic Plan with the stated aim to “support the development of evidence needed for effective preventative strategies, management, and treatment of mental illness, and services for chronic and complex mental health conditions” (NHMRC Strategic Plan 2010-2012).
NHMRC has, as outlined in the May 2011 budget, allocated $26.2 million over a five year period (a minimum of $5 million per year) to support research that delivers greater evidence-based policies and practices aiming to improve mental health care and provision of mental health services in Australia, and in particular, improvement of youth mental health in Australia. The NHMRC Research Committee has committed this budget to both building research capacity and to a Targeted Call for Research (TCR) focusing on “prevention of, and early intervention in, mental illness in children and young people”.
Prevention of, and early intervention in, mental illness in children and young people
NHMRC wishes to call upon the expertise of the mental health research community in the area of child and youth mental health – an area of international significance. This TCR will provide up to $13 million of funding for the best researchers to build evidence and translate evidence into improved mental health practice.
This TCR does not preclude applications for mental health-related research projects through NHMRC’s normal competitive processes and schemes.
Applications open on 30 November 2011 and close on 4 April 2012.
- All Mental Health Targeted Call for Research applications must be commenced in RGMS by 5.00pm (AEDST) 8 February 2012.
- Applications in RGMS must contain the minimum data to allow the NHMRC to start sourcing external reviewers with appropriate expertise.
- Applicants wishing to apply under the Mental Health Targeted Call for Research must provide the minimum data, by 8 February.
Minimum Data Requirements:
The following information is required by 8 February 2012 to be eligible to apply:
- Part A Home (specifically the Administering Institution, and Application Title)
- A-RT Research Team and Commitment
- A-A2 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research
Documentation to apply for a Mental Health Targeted Call for Research Grant
Documentation associated with the Mental Health Targeted Call for Research is as follows.
- NHMRC Mental Health Targeted Call for Research - Funding Rules for Funding Commencing in 2012 (PDF, 892KB)
- NHMRC Mental Health Targeted Call for Research - Advice and Instructions to Applicants for Funding Commencing in 2012 (PDF, 220KB)
- NHMRC Mental Health Targeted Call for Research - Peer Review Guidelines (PDF, 828KB)
Further information on the Mental Health Targeted Call for Research can be found by contacting:
Programs and Partnerships
Phone: 02 6217 9412