A Development Grant provides funding support to individual researchers, research teams, or a HMR company in partnership with a researcher/s to undertake research at the early proof-of-principle or pre-seed stage.
The Scheme supports the commercial development of a product, process, procedure or service that if applied, would result in improved health care, disease prevention or provide health cost savings.
Applications must demonstrate a basic understanding of the process and steps required to move from research to outcomes that can be commercialised, including:
- the process and steps to a market, the nature of the market;
- the milestones and risks of the venture; and
- an understanding of possible means of handling intellectual property connected with the project.
Apply for Funding
Online Application Form
NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to submit a Development Grant Application. Applicants are also required to enter their details in the CV and Profile section of the system.
- Applications OPEN 10 April 2013
- Applications CLOSE at 5pm (AEST) on 10 July 2013
Documentation to Apply for a Development Grant
- Review the Development Grants 2013 Funding Rules for funding commencing in 2014.
- Review the Development Grants 2013 Advice and Instructions to Applicants (also located in the knowledge store section in RGMS) which contains detailed information on how to answer questions on the application form. NOTE: The Advice and Instructions are also available at each stage of the online application process.
- Review the Administering Institution List. This contains a list of Administering Institutions which is to be used by Applicants when selecting their Administering Institution on the application form.
- Review the Development Grants 2013 Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2014
- Submit your completed application to your Administering Institution through RGMS
- Criteria for Health and Medical Research of Indigenous Australians (PDF, 20KB)
- Criteria for Health and Medical Research of Indigenous Australians (RTF, 13KB)
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
To contact the Development Grants Team please email email@example.com.