The Centres of Research Excellence (CRE) Scheme will provide support for teams of researchers to pursue collaborative research and develop capacity in clinical, population health and health services research. Funding will support three streams:
- CRE in Clinical Research, including a separate category for type 1 diabetes research;
- CRE in Health Services Research; and
- CRE in Population Health Research.
In this year’s round, all applicants are required to commence their application and provide the specified minimum data in RGMS by Monday 13 January 2014 to allow the NHMRC to start sourcing reviewers with appropriate expertise. Applications initiated after this date will not be accepted.
Centres of Research Excellence with Partner Organisations
Additionally, the CRE Scheme provides the opportunity for NHMRC to partner with organisations interested in specific areas of research. In this Round, NHMRC has partnered with three such organisations to provide funding in the following areas:
- Clinical research in Type 1 Diabetes, in partnership with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF);
- The NHMRC and JDRF have partnered up to fund up to five CREs in type 1 diabetes in the Clinical Research stream, subject to the receipt of competitive applications.
- Diabetic Retinopathy, in partnership with The Fred Hollows Foundation; and
- Hearing Loss Prevention, in partnership with the Department of Health.
Applicants who wish to apply for a CRE in one of these specific research areas should refer to the documentation to apply for a CRE grant and nominate the relevant Application Priority Area in RGMS.
Please note: Letters of Intent for a CRE in Type 1 Diabetes closed on 25 October 2013. Applications for a CRE in Type 1 Diabetes will only be accepted from those invited to apply.
Apply for funding
NHMRC only accepts applications for this scheme through the Research Grants Management System (RGMS).
- Applications OPEN 4 December 2013
- Applications CLOSE 5pm (AEDST) 19 February 2014
- Minimum data requirements - 5pm (AEDST) 13 January 2014
Documentation to apply for a CRE Grant
- Review Section A - NHMRC Funding Rules and Section D - 2013 Centres of Research Excellence Scheme Specific Information for funding commencing in 2014 (HTML version)
- Review the Centres of Research Excellence Peer Review Guidelines for funding Commencing in 2014 (PDF, 813KB)
- Review the Centres of Research Excellence - Advice and Instructions to Applicants for funding commencing 2014 (PDF, 608KB)
- Review the Centres of Research Excellence Grant Proposal Template Grant Proposal Template (DOCX, 27KB)
- Review the Additional Guidance to Applicants on Career Disruption (PDF, 59KB)
- Review the Administering Institutions list
This contains a list of Administering Institutions which is to be used by Applicants when selecting their Administering Institution on the application form.
- Criteria for Health and Medical Research of Indigenous Australians
Applicants for CREs in the area of Indigenous Health research are required to address the Criteria for Health and Medical Research of Indigenous Australians.
- Australian Standard Research Classifications and NHMRC Keyword ⁄ Phrases
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your Administering Institution:
Contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500983, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.