A Research Fellowship is a five year fellowship supporting leading health and medical researchers in full-time research.
The objectives of the Research Fellowships scheme are to foster an intellectual environment which supports and builds the capacity of Australian research for the future and to create knowledge through investment in research which improves health and thus contributes to Australia’s prosperity.
Apply for funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/update your CV and Profile, and to submit your Research Fellowship application.
Applicants who are not yet registered in RGMS should contact the Research Help Centre at email@example.com for more information.
A complete Research Fellowship application consists of:
- The relevant information in your RGMS Profile and CV
- Completion of Parts A and B (including the Grant Proposal PDF) of the application form
Prior to submission of an application for a Research Fellowship, applicants are to ensure they:
- Read all relevant reference material;
- Liaise with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the institution may have; and
- Ensure their application is complete and correct (once submitted to NHMRC, an application will be considered final and no changes will be accepted).
The key dates for the Research Fellowships 2016 funding round are as follows:
- Applications open: 9 December 2015
- Applications close: 17:00 hrs (5:00pm) AEDT, 3 February 2016
Changes to the Research Fellowships Funding Rules for 2016
- Section 5.3 – Words ‘or equivalent’ added to include titles other than ‘Institute Director’.
- Sections 7.1 and 7.1.1 – ‘New Applicants’ has been replaced by ‘Initial Applicants’.
- Section 7.2 –
- ‘Returning Applicants’ has been replaced by ‘Reapplications’.
- New wording to clarify application options for current sixth year fellows.
- Section 7.3 –
- Clarification that this section also applies to applicants who hold an Honorary, Adjunct, Clinical, Conjoint professorial title or position.
- Examples have been provided of justifications that will not be accepted for professors applying at SRF level.
- Justifications will be considered by an NHMRC Senior Scientist rather than the peer review panel.
- Section 7.4 –
- ‘Current Fellows seeking promotion’ has been replaced by ‘Reapplication with Promotion’.
- Wording added to clarify assessment process for ‘Reapplication with Promotion’.
- Section 7.5 –
- Deletion of previous stipulation that the peer review panel will not recommend a sixth year where the application represents serious underperformance.
- Wording added to emphasise that decisions relating to the granting of sixth year extensions are based on the merits of the current application and funding policy.
- Subsection 8.3.1 –
- Addition of a more detailed description of how Translation Advancement Incentive (TAI) funds must be used.
- Clarification that a TAI report must be included in the Final Report at the conclusion of the Fellowship.
- ‘Industry’ TAI applicants must upload a letter of support from their industry/commercial partner.
- Subsection 8.3.3 – Additional sentence included advising applicants to refer to the scheme-specific funding rules regarding payment of salary.
- Section 9 – CV updates are no longer required. Applicants may highlight any updates at interview.
- Section 10.4 – Clarification that parental leave is to be paid for each period of parental leave.
- Attachment B – The Statement of Expectations for SRF A and SRF B have been revised to provide clearer distinction between the two levels.
Documentation to Apply for a Research Fellowship
- NHMRC Funding Rules incorporating the Research Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2017
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants incorporating the Research Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2017
- A Guide to NHMRC Peer Review incorporating the Research Fellowships Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2017
- RGMS Offline Application forms
- RGMS User Guides
Research Classifications Guides including Broad Research Area, Fields of Research and NHMRC Keyword ⁄ Phrases
Research Fellowship Applications in Indigenous Health and Well-being
- Indigenous Research Excellence Criteria - see Section 6.3 of the NHMRC Funding Rules 2016
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your administering institution:
Contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Archived Documentation for the Previous Round
- NHMRC Funding Rules incorporating the Research Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2016
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants incorporating the Research Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2016
- A Guide to NHMRC Peer Review incorporating the Research Fellowships Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2016