A Research Fellowship is a five year fellowship supporting leading health and medical researchers in full-time research.
The objective of the Research Fellowships scheme is to foster an intellectual environment which supports and builds the capacity of Australian research for the future and in so doing, creates knowledge through investment in research which improves health and thus contributes to Australia’s prosperity.
Apply for funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/update your CV and Profile, and to submit your Research Fellowship application.
Applicants who are not yet registered in RGMS should contact the Research Help Centre at email@example.com for more information.
A complete Research Fellowship application consists of:
- The relevant information in your RGMS Profile and CV
- Completion of Parts A and B (including the Grant Proposal PDF) of the application form
Prior to submission of an application for a Research Fellowship, applicants are to ensure they:
- Read all relevant reference material;
- Liaise with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the institution may have; and
- Ensure their application is complete and correct (once submitted to NHMRC, an application will be considered final and no changes will be accepted).
The key dates for the Research Fellowships 2015 funding round are as follows:
- Applications open: 28 January 2015
- Applications close: 17:00 hrs (5:00pm) AEDT, 25 March 2015
Changes to the Research Fellowships Funding Rules for 2015
- Section 4 – Criterion 2: Quality of Research Output (with particular emphasis on the past five years and demonstrating an upward trajectory) has been updated to include research translation.
- Section 5.3 – Introductory paragraph included to reiterate the intent of the scheme, also clarifying that the nature of an applicant’s appointment is subject to review and clarification at any time during the life of the Fellowship.
- Section 5.7- At the time of acceptance of the award, the applicant must be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident of Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Previously this status was required when the award commenced.
- Section 6.2 – Requirement added for applicants to provide Research Administration Officers (RAO) with a written statement confirming their proposed Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
- One Year Extensions of Fellowships for Retiring Fellows has been removed.
- Sixth Year Extensions has been removed – this affects new Fellowships awarded from 2015.
- Section 7 – Clarified that applicants who have previously held a Research Fellowship, the selection of the incorrect type and/or level may affect eligibility.
- Section 7.3 – Justification required for an application made at SRF level from an applicant appointed to a Professorial position is now required from ALL applicants and should focus on why the applicant is not seeking appointment at the higher levels.
- Section 7.5 Clarified that applicants who receive an overall score of less than five will not be awarded a sixth year extension.
- Trans-Tasman Joint Initiative has been removed.
- Section 8.1 - Wording has been added to clarify that successful applicants are expected to commence their fellowship on 1 January of the first year of the award.
- Section 8.3.1 - Support Enhancement Option has been renamed to Translation Advancement Incentive (TAI) and the associated assessment criteria strengthened. Activities to be funded by the TAI must extend beyond the regular research activities undertaken by the applicant and must demonstrate evidence of translation commencement as a separate and discrete activity.
- Attachment B – The Statement of Expectations has been updated to better reflect the standards of each Fellowship level.
For further information on these changes, refer to the Research Fellowships Funding Rules.
Documentation to Apply for a Research Fellowship
- NHMRC Funding Rules 2015 incorporating the Research Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2016
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants 2015 incorporating the Research Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2016
- A Guide to NHMRC Peer Review 2015 incorporating the Research Fellowships Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2016
- RGMS Offline Application forms
- RGMS User Guides
Research Classifications Guides including Broad Research Area, Fields of Research and NHMRC Keyword ⁄ Phrases
Research Fellowship Applications in Indigenous Health and Well-being
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your administering institution:
Contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.