A Practitioner Fellowship is a five year, part-time fellowship for clinicians, public health or health service professionals to engage in research related to their professional activities.
The Practitioner Fellowships scheme is a key element in NHMRC’s commitment to accelerate the bridging of the gap between the acquisition of new knowledge from research and its implementation into practice and policy.
The scheme aims to support research which results in the translation of new evidence into improved clinical practice and health policy and which delivers improvements in health and healthcare to Australians.
Apply for funding
The NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) must be used to access/enter your CV and Profile, and submit your Practitioner Fellowship application.
Applicants who are not yet registered in RGMS should contact the Research Help Centre on email@example.com for more information.
A complete Practitioner Fellowship application consists of:
- The relevant information in your RGMS Profile and CV
- Completion of Parts A and B (including the Grant Proposal PDF) of the application form
Prior to submission of an application for a Practitioner Fellowship, applicants are to ensure they:
- Read all relevant reference material;
- Liaise with their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the institution may have; and
- Ensure their application is complete and correct (once submitted to NHMRC, an application will be considered final and no changes will be accepted).
The key dates for the Practitioner Fellowships 2016 funding round are as follows:
- Applications open: 9 December 2015
- Applications close: 17:00 hrs (5:00pm) AEDT, 3 February 2016
Changes to Practitioner Fellowships scheme for 2016
- Section 7.1 – ‘New Applicants’ has been replaced by ‘Initial Applicants’.
- Section 7.2 – ‘Returning Applicants’ has been replaced by ‘Reapplications’.
- Section 7.3 – ‘Current Fellows Seeking Promotion’ has been replaced by ‘Reapplications with Promotion’.
- Subsection 9.1 – CV updates are not required. Applicants may highlight any updates at interview.
- Section 10.3 – Clarification that parental leave is to be paid for each period of parental leave taken.
Documentation to apply for a Practitioner Fellowship
- NHMRC Funding Rules incorporating the Practitioner Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2017
- NHMRC Advice and Instructions to Applicants incorporating the Practitioner Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2017
- A Guide to NHMRC Peer Review incorporating the Practitioner Fellowships Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2017
- RGMS Offline Application forms
- RGMS User Guides
Research Classifications Guides including Broad Research Area, Fields of Research and NHMRC Keyword ⁄ Phrases
Practitioner Fellowship Applications in Indigenous Health and Well-being
- Indigenous Research Excellence Criteria - see Section 6.3 of the NHMRC Funding Rules 2016
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your administering institution:
Contact the Research Help Centre on 1800 500 983, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.