The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) – European Union (EU) Collaborative Research Grants scheme aims to provide assistance to Australian researchers to participate in multinational research collaborative projects with international researchers that have been selected for funding under the European Commission’s Horizon 2020 Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing or the Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) calls.
Horizon 2020 is the EU's main instrument for funding research and development and it will run from 2014 to 2020. More information on Horizon 2020 is available from the following website:
Projects involving Australian researchers based in Australia that are chosen by the European Commission (EC) for funding, may be eligible for NHMRC support of up to $500,000.
Apply for funding
NHMRC – EU rounds are linked to the Horizon 2020 topics for the specified year. Applicants are advised to consider the scheme specific documentation for the appropriate year:
- NHMRC - European Union Collaborative Research Grants for funding in 2015 - CLOSED
- NHMRC - European Union Collaborative Research Grants for funding in 2016 - CLOSED
- NHMRC - European Union Collaborative Research Grants for funding in 2017
- NHMRC - European Union Collaborative Research Grants for funding in 2018
Responsibility for submitting proposals to the EC under the Horizon 2020 lies with the European partners.
Applications for NHMRC – EU Scheme grants are only required to be submitted to NHMRC if an application has been peer reviewed by the EC and is favourably evaluated for funding. The Australian Chief Investigator A (CIA) must forward evidence that the application has been favourably evaluated, with their application, to the NHMRC by the advertised closing date and time.
Applicants must use the NHMRC’s Research Grants Management System (RGMS) to access/enter their Profile, and submit funding applications to NHMRC.
Applicants who are not yet registered on RGMS should contact the Research Help Centre on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A complete NHMRC – EU Scheme Application must consist of the following:
- Completion of Parts A and B of the application form;
- The relevant information in the applicants RGMS Profile;
- The uploaded PDF document containing your Research Proposal; and
- A copy of the Proposal submitted to the EU and evidence that the application has been favourably evaluated by the EC.
Prior to submission of an application for NHMRC – EU scheme funding, applicants are to ensure they:
- are eligible to apply;
- read all relevant reference material; and
- contact their Administering Institution to identify any specific requirements that the Institution may have.
If you require more information, direct your inquiry to your Research Administration Office in the first instance.
If you require assistance and are unable to satisfy your concern by seeking assistance through your administering institution please contact:
NHMRC’s Research Help Centre (RHC)
P: 1800 500 983 (or +61 2 6217 9451 for international callers) during business hours