NHMRC is seeking individuals to become members of its newly established Advisory Group on the Synthesis and Translation of Research Evidence (STORE), and the Research Translation Group’s Advisors List (See Terms of Reference).
Nominations for SToRE
We are looking for individuals with expertise in, and experience applying, the methods of synthesizing and applying research evidence and particularly:
- Clinical Research
- Public Health Research
- Health Economics
Committee members are not appointed to act as representatives of a particular organisation. Individuals will be selected based on the need to achieve an appropriate mix on the group of different types of expertise and experience.
Time commitments and conditions
The group will meet once every 1-2 months by telephone or video-conference. Face-to-face meetings may be held if resources permit, and would usually take place in the Canberra or Melbourne offices of NHMRC. Applicants must therefore be prepared to travel to meetings in either Canberra or Melbourne.
Individual committee members who agree to take on specific responsibilities (eg to write handbook chapters) will need to consider the time they have available before committing to the work.
Committee membership is unpaid although expenses associated with face-to-face meetings, including overnight accommodation if applicable, will be reimbursed. The period of Committee membership is for two years in the first instance.
NHMRC reserves the right to terminate the membership of an individual member if 3 or more consecutive meetings are missed.
Membership of the Group will be reported on NHMRC’s website.
Individuals who are eligible but are not selected to join the group may be invited to join the RTG Advisors List.
Terms of Reference
Selection criteria for appointment
- Expertise, experience and professional recognition relevant to the synthesis and use of research evidence
- Demonstrated experience working as a member of a committee
- Demonstrated technical excellence in an area related to evidence synthesis, guideline development or knowledge translation
- Knowledge of current issues and requirements in evidence synthesis, guideline development or knowledge translation
- Experience in the technical development of national or international standards
- Relevant qualifications and experience
- Experience in collaborative international initiatives
- Completed declaration of interests
Individuals with the following expertise are particularly sought:
- The development of clinical practice guidelines
- The implementation of clinical practice guidelines
- Evaluating the health impact of environmental exposure
- Evaluating the effectiveness of public health interventions
- The statistical methods of meta-analysis
- The development and application of analytic frameworks (eg logic models)
- Applying judgement to evidence to derive recommendations
SToRE members will serve as individuals on the basis of their expertise, knowledge and experience, and not as representatives of their employer, organization or affiliated group.
How to apply
To apply, individuals must submit:
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- List of Expertise Keywords
- Information addressing the criteria for appointment
- Contact information for 2 referees
Completed applications should be returned by COB Friday 21 February 2014 to SToRE@nhmrc.gov.au or posted to:
STORE Advisory Group
Research Translation Group
GPO Box 1421
Canberra ACT 2600
Successful applicants will be asked to declare any financial or personal interests before appointment as required by the National Health and Medical Research Council Act 1992 and NHMRC’s policies on Identifying and Managing Conflicts of Interest. Declarations of Interests will be published on the NHMRC website.