The NHMRC Audit Committee (NAC) has been established under the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997 (FMA Act). Under section 46 of the FMA Act, the Chief Executive must establish and maintain an Audit Committee with functions that include helping the Agency to comply with its financial management and accountability obligations and providing a forum for communication between the Chief Executive, senior managers, the Agency’s internal auditors and the Auditor-General.
The functions and responsibilities of an Audit Committee as listed in Regulation 22C of the Financial Management and Accountability Regulations 1997 (FMA Regs) include :
- Reviewing periodically the adequacy of the Agency’s governance arrangements;
- As far as practicable, coordinating work programs relating to internal and external audits;
- Advising the Chief Executive on the preparation and review of the Agency’s financial statements;
- Advising the Chief Executive about action to be taken on significant matters of concern, or significant opportunities for improvement, that are mentioned in internal and external audit reports; and
- Providing any other advice to the Chief Executive about their obligations under the FMA Act.
Members of the NHMRC Audit Committee are as follows:
- Ms Glenys Roper (Independent Chair) – appointed from 8 November 2009 to 8 November 2013
- Mr Geoff Knuckey (CPA/ Qualified Accountant ) – appointed from 1 March 2013 to 1 March 2016
- Dr Jeannette Young (member of NHMRC Council) – appointed from 25 January 2010 to 25 January 2013
- Prof Matthew Gillespie (member of the NHMRC Audit Committee with relevant knowledge of the Health and Medical Research sector) – appointed from 1 March 2013 to 1 March 2016
- Mr Tony Kingdon (NHMRC General Manager) – appointed from 31 January 2011 to 31 January 2014
NHMRC Audit Committee Charter
The Chief Executive Officer has established the NHMRC Audit Committee in compliance with section 46 of the FMA Act and Regulation 22C of the FMA Regs. The current Audit Committee Charter can be viewed here:
Contact for further information
For further information regarding the NHMRC Audit Committee, please contact the Secretariat on (02) 6217 9308 or email NAC.firstname.lastname@example.org.