The Council of NHMRC is established under the NHMRC Act to advise the CEO and perform functions conferred on it.
Functions of the Council
The functions of the Council are:
- to provide advice to the CEO in relation to the performance of his or her functions;
- any other functions conferred on the Council in writing by the Minister after consulting the CEO; and
- any other functions conferred on the Council by the NHMRC Act, the regulations or any other law.
Composition of the Council of NHMRC
Council members are appointed under section 41 (1) of the NHMRC Act for a triennium (3 years). A new Council will be appointed for the 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2018 triennium.
The work of Council is planned and reviewed on a triennial basis. All Council members are part-time appointees. The Council meets in full session on several occasions each year and the proceedings of each session are made available on the NHMRC website. It undertakes its work through a network of Principal Committees, working committees and expert panels, whose members are part-time and give much of their time and expertise.
The Council of the NHMRC consists of the following:
- the Chair;
- the chief medical officer for the Commonwealth;
- the chief medical officer for each State and Territory;
- a person with expertise in the health needs of Aboriginal persons and Torres Strait Islanders;
- a person with expertise in consumer issues;
- a person with expertise in business;
- at least 6, but no more than 11, persons with expertise in one or more of the following:
- health care training;
- professional medical standards;
- the medical profession and post graduate medical training;
- the nursing profession;
- public health research and medical research issues;
- public health;
- ethics relating to research involving humans;
- other appropriate expertise.
Chairs of Principal Committees are Council members (with the exception of the Chair of the Embryo Research Licensing Committee).
Members of Council
An announcement by the Minister for Health, the Hon Sussan Ley MP, will be made shortly on the membership of Council.
NHMRC Council Session Reports
- Report of the 203rd Session of the NHMRC Council (4-5 March 2015)
- Report of the 202nd Session of the NHMRC Council (27 November 2014)
- Report of the 201st Session of the NHMRC Council (2 October 2014)
- Report of the 200th Session of the NHMRC Council (12 June 2014)
- Report of the 199th Session of the NHMRC Council (6 March 2014)
- Report of the 198th Session of the NHMRC Council (28 November 2013)
- Report of the 197th Session of the NHMRC Council (10 October 2013)
- Report of the 196th Session of the NHMRC Council (21 June 2013)
Page last updated on 1 July 2015