If you are interested in applying for any of our positions, please read the information provided here and in the Applicant Kit. We also encourage you to speak with the Contact Officer for the position you are interested in. This will assist in determining whether the NHMRC, and the position, are a good fit for you.
For general information about employment in the Australian Public Service (APS), see Cracking the Code: how to apply for jobs in the APS on the Australian Public Service Commission website. This provides practical advice on addressing selection criteria, APS interviews and much more.
To apply for a position at the NHMRC, you will need to:
- Complete the NHMRC Application Form
- Address the selection criteria and
- Provide a current resume.
NHMRC application form
Please complete this form and attach it to the front of your application. Personal information provided in this form is protected by the Privacy Act 1988, and will only be used for recruitment purposes. The NHMRC will not disclose information you provide without your consent, except where required by law. Non-identifying information may be used for statistical purposes.
This form also asks you to provide the details of two referees. While referees are only contacted for applicants in serious contention for a position, we understand the difficulty this contact may present. Please indicate on the form if you have any concerns in this regard.
You should also indicate if you are unable to attend an interview within one month from the closing date.
Addressing selection criteria
Your responses to the selection criteria provide the basis for initial shortlisting. This is your opportunity to convince the selection panel that you should be considered for the job. It is important that you address each criterion thoroughly and honestly, with relevant examples to demonstrate your skills, capabilities, experience and qualifications. You may use examples from your professional or personal life.
The selection criteria are based on the Capability Map which identifies the qualities required of people to effectively perform at each level (APS 1 to EL 2).
- EL2 Capability Map (PDF, 40KB)
- EL1 Capability Map (PDF, 47KB)
- APS 6 Capability Map (PDF, 45KB)
- APS 5 Capability Map (PDF, 41KB)
- APS 4 Capability Map (PDF, 40KB)
- APS 3 Capability Map (PDF, 39KB)
- APS 2 Capability Map (PDF, 40KB)
- APS 1 Capability Map (PDF, 39KB)
- It is important to observe the word limit provided in the Applicant Kit;
- It is helpful to provide on each page (eg in the footer) your name, the position you are applying for, and the selection criteria you are addressing; and
- Applications which do not sufficiently address each of the selection criteria may not be considered for shortlisting.
- See: Cracking the Code - how to apply for jobs in the APS
Preparing your resume
Your resume should provide the selection panel with an outline of your work history, education, achievements and other information relevant to the position. How you present this information is a personal choice, but it should include:
- Your details – your name, address and contact details;
- Your qualifications – include relevant education and professional development activities;
- Your employment history – in reverse chronological order from your current position, including dates of employment, position title (and APS level if applicable) and a summary of your responsibilities and achievements;
- Any other information which will support your application, such as professional memberships, awards, published papers (if appropriate).
Some positions require mandatory qualifications and these will be advised in the Applicant Kit. If evidence of qualifications needs to be submitted with the application, this will also be advised in the Applicant Kit.
Submitting your application
Before submitting your application, ensure it contains your:
- Completed NHMRC application Form;
- Statement of claims against the selection criteria; and
- Current resume.
Applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or posted to:
National Health and Medical Research Council
GPO Box 1421
Canberra ACT 2601
If emailing your application, please quote the position number and your name in the subject line. It is preferred that your NHMRC Application Form, Statement of Claims and Resume (in that order) are contained within one attachment.
Applications must be received by midnight on the due date, unless alternative arrangements have been made with the Contact Officer nominated in the Applicant Kit.
Acknowledgement of applications
Applications lodged electronically will be acknowledged by return receipt. Unfortunately, posted and hand delivered applications cannot be acknowledged.
For information about how the NHMRC selects its staff, see How We Select.